Grandmaster Masaaki Hatsumi
Hatsumi was born in Noda, Chiba on December 2, 1931.
He heavily participated in sports during his school years, along with martial arts and theater, including becoming "captain of the football team". While attending the Meiji University, he continued learning judo and eventually rose to Yudansha (Dan rank). He also began teaching Judo during his time at the university to American soldiers at the nearby Yokota Air Base.
After graduating from Meiji University in Tokyo, with a major in theater studies, and osteopathic medicine, Masaaki Hatsumi opened a bone clinic in his home town. His practice continued on a steady basis until about 1990 when travel and movies began to dominate his schedule.|
is a past Chairman of the International Division of the Japan Literary Artist's Club, has authored over a dozen books, numerous magazine and newspaper articles and more than 50 videos on the martial art traditions of the Bujinkan
Dojo. He wrote, directed and acted in 50 episodes of the Japanese television series called Jiraiya
Currently he acts as a consultant for various plays and movies to ensure historical accuracy, is sought out regularly as a speaker and television personality and also plays regularly for the last several years in a Hawaiian band as he is an accomplised musician and singer, playing guitar and ukulele.
Awards and Recognition
Over his career, Masaaki Hatsumi has received an elaborate collection of awards, certificates, letters of friendship, and honorary titles from some of the most elite organizations in the world.
These include several honorary memberships, doctorates, awards, titles and certificates being highlighted by the title of Todo Hashi (Master teacher of the way of the sword) and being voted U.S. Blackbelt Instructor of the Year. A full list of his accomplishments can be found below:
- Title of Knighthood by the German National Historical Culture Federation, at Frankfurt.
- Received the Papal Award, an Apostolic blessing from the Vatican, on behalf of Pope John-Paul II.
- Honorary Doctorate degrees in Human Sciences and Philosophy from the U.S.
- Honorary member of Texas Rangers.
- Honorary member of Arizona Rangers.
- Received the Cross Medal and Sun Medal from Juan Carlos King of Spain.
- Honorary award from the Spanish Secretary of State for the Intelligence Agency.
- Received an honorary Doctorate from the Manchester School of Osteopathy.
- Awarded the title Todo Hanshi (Master teacher of the way of the sword) by Nakazawa Toshi, President of Zen Nippon Todo Renmei (Japan Sword Federation).
- Received an award from London Metropolitan Police Headquarters.
- Received an award from the City of Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Voted by U.S. "Blackbelt" Magazine 1986 Instructor of the Year.
- Received Letters of thanks from Prince Charles's secretary.
- Certificate of Friendship from President Mitterand of France.
- Letters of appreciation from US Presidents: Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George Bush, and Bill Clinton.
- F.B.I. Federal Bureau of Investigation Certificate of Friendship
- Pentagon America National Department of Defense Certificate of Friendship
- Received the Shakai Bunka Korosho "Contribution Prize for Society and Culture" and Kokusai Bunka Eiyosho "International Cultural Honour Prize" awarded by Nihon Bunka Shinkokai "Japan Culture Promoting Association, signed by the Emperor of Japan.
- Received the Sekai Bunka Taisho "World Cultural Grand Prize" award in the division of Martial Arts, issued by the Sekai Heiwa Bunka Rengo "World Peace and Culture Federation".
- Honorary Citizen of the state of Texas & cities of Los Angeles, California, Atlanta, Georgia, Dublin, Jordan Valley, Burton Village, and New Mexico.
- S.A.S. England Special Forces Certificate of Friendship
- Royal Marines (England Navy) Certificate of Friendship